NEW PLAYS. NEW VOICES. NEXT GEN THEATER MAKERS.
Announcing the line-up for the legendary Bay Area Playwrights Festival
“Equal parts acts of defiance, acts of sanctuary, and acts of love, these six powerful and relevant new plays illuminate our
40th Anniversary Season.”
— Amy Mueller, Playwrights Foundation Artistic Director
Click here for more festival info
Two great weekends, six outstanding playwrights,
one luminary 40th anniversary celebration!
Catch the making of a legacy.
- Magic City by Hilary Bettis – An explosive elixir of power, class, and immigration status threatens lives in this Spanish infused adaptation of Miss Julie.
- The Birds of Empathy by Clarence Coo – An awkward gay man’s guide to relationships (and casual sex) via Audubon’s Birds of America.
- Damascus by Bennett Fisher – A high-stakes, road-rage thriller that delves full-force into the misguided politics of terrorism.
- The Fatales by Lauren Gunderson – An epic feminist pop crusade for a knowing justice, via musical defiance, reveals a true, and truly brutal reality.
- Endangered Species by Nilan Johnson – An afro-surrealist futuristic legend in which blackness ceases to exist, but for the Heart of Darkness.
- We Swim, We Talk, We Go To War by Mona Mansour – In which an Arab-American woman and her nephew dip into treacherous waters, presented in partnership with Golden Thread Productions.
JULY 13 – 23, 2017
Custom Made Theatre, San Francisco
Tickets go onsale June 1st – watch this space for exclusive early bird offers!
For Industry Professionals
Theater pros and theater lovers mingle and match over the second festival weekend (July 21-23) focused on making connections and meeting new writers and old friends.
Are you an Artistic Director, Dramaturg, Literary Manager, Program Manager, or other professional at a theater that primarily produces new work – or are you a free-lance artist focused primarily on new work? We’re offering complimentary VIP Passes for the weekend, and a limited number of travel stipends for industry professionals, so APPLY TODAY – Deadline is May 15th!
The weekend includes attending six readings over three days, panels, networking events and a playwright meet and greet, plus focused moments to discuss issues that shape our creative endeavors, all in the heart of San Francisco’s theater district. Free passes awarded to individuals committed to seeing at least 5 of 6 plays.
Over 80% of BAPFestival plays, often first developed here, go on to multiple productions throughout the country. Meet them here first.
Playwrights Foundation uses Vendini
for ticketing, marketing, and box office management.
Playwrights Foundation – 1616 16th st, Ste 350, San Francisco, CA, 94103, (415) 626-2176
Vendini, Inc. – 660 Market Street, San Francisco, CA, 94104, 1 (800) 901-7173