>> “I JUST WANTED TO REPORT SOME GOOD NEWS I HAVE HAD RECENTLY. I was a student at The Writers Studio from Level I – Level III. My (brilliant) teachers were Lisa Bellamy, Peter Krass and Cynthia Weiner…
.Granta Books has just acquired the world rights to my debut novel,
This Living and Immortal Thing
, for publication in spring 2016.” —
a physician who studied in NYC and Online.
>> MORE GOOD NEWS: Craig Van Rooyen recently won the Rattle Poetry Prize for 2014. In addition to the $5000, Craig’s winning poem will appear in the winter issue of Rattle. Craig is a student in Lisa Bellamy’s Online Advanced Poetry class. Marie Sanchez’s story “The Bus Ride” was published in Keeping the Edge. Marie is a student in Therese Eiben’s Online Level IV. Rowyda Amin’s chapbook “Desert Sunflowers” was published by flipped eye published limited. Rowyda was a student in Lisa Bellamy’s NYC Advanced Poetry Workshop.
>> “I DEFINE POETRY AS CELEBRATION AND CONFRONTATION … Often I say, it’s not what we know, it’s what we can risk discovering. And perhaps that’s what the poem is about.” –Yusef Komunyakaa, Pulitzer Prize winning poet
>> PULITZER PRIZE WINNER YUSEF KOMUNYAKAA, TWO-TIME POET LAUREATE ROBERT PINSKY, AND MAC ARTHUR WINNING POET AND PRESIDENT OF THE JOHN SIMON GUGGENHEIM FOUNDATION EDWARD HIRSCH, VISIT CRAFT CLASS THIS FALL TO TALK ABOUT THEIR WRITING TECHNIQUES. Craft class starts in one week on Tuesday, September 30. The vast majority of students subscribe to the podcasts of this class rather than attend. You can attend class in NYC and still download the recordings, or just listen to the mp3’s. Whatever you choose to do, do not miss these historic classes. Register here.
>> FREE INTRODUCTORY WORKSHOP IN BROOKLYN. RSVP ASAP TO REGISTER. Sunday, September 28, at the Brooklyn Central Library (across from Prospect Park) from 2:30-4:30 pm. For more information and to register, contact Rebecca at email@example.com
>> IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE WRITERS STUDIO, START AT LEVEL I
* Online Level I starts 10/2 and 10/8 <4 spots open> Register here.
* NYC Level I starts 10/1 <1 spot open> 10/6, 10/7, and 10/27 Register here.
* NEW JERSEY LEVEL I starts 10/1 in Short Hills. <4 spots open>
* Tucson Workshop starts 10/2 <2 spots open> Register here.
* San Francisco Workshop starts 10/1 <2 spots open>, 10/2, and 10/4. Register here.
* Amsterdam Workshop starts 10/1 <2 spots open> Register here.
>> IF YOU ARE A FICTION WRITER NEW TO THE WRITERS STUDIO AND YOU HAVE AN MFA OR HAVE PUBLISHED IN LITERARY JOURNALS, YOU MAY START AT LEVEL II (but you may also start at Level I, which is what most experienced writers do.)
* Online Level II starts 10/2 ❤ spots open> Register here.
* NYC Level II starts 9/29 and 10/2 <1 spot open> Register here.
>> IF YOU ARE A POET NEW TO THE WRITERS STUDIO, HAVE AN MFA AND/OR SEVERAL POETRY PUBLICATIONS, APPLY FOR A SPOT IN ONLINE INTERMEDIATE POETRY
* Online Intermediate Poetry with Peter Krass starts 10/1. Write to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.